Wednesday 9 September 2015

Big Sur

(Tues 8 Sept)

yep... Big Sur was absolutely wonderful.. such amazing views.

Its a proper windy road cut into the side of the mountain and you are just constantly presented with the most amazing sights round each bend.

Rocky coves, golden sands, sheer cliff faces and a raging, crashing sea underneath.. a field of zebras..!
that is the absolute truth. We saw a field of zebras  (picture evidence to follow!) We're slightly bemused by it and have no understanding of why there were zebras there. Amongst some cows I might add!!
We also saw a whole beach of elephant seals!  They were fabulous to watch and more than one of them reminded me of Dan and the way he can just lie there... every now and again he'll roll a bit and occasionally will emit a strange noise or have a little scratch!!  hahahahahaha!!

We really took our time over the drive and took a good 5 hours to do the route as we stopped off constantly for pictures or a wander.
We have a ridiculous amount of pictures between us so I'll get them reviewed and get some on here pronto.




I also managed to lose a pair of my Havaianas in the ocean!  Stopped at Carmel beach and we went to dip our toes in. I hugely under-estimated the power of the ocean and the speed with which it came towards me and it ripped off my flip flops as it rolled back!!  They floated around me for a brief minute but there was no point in trying to get them as I would have probably fell over and then lost the car keys and my phone!  That'll teach me hey!!

Made it to Monterey very easily and have booked into another motel (Stevenson Monterey) for the next 2 nights, It seems to be in a good location and it is everything we need & want. V clean, lovely woman on reception and it even has a small pool!  Dan was in that pool within minutes of arriving!!

Off out shortly to see the Wharf and to get me some seafood!  I need a proper good and tasty dinner tonight and as I love seafood so much, what else would I eat when on the Pacific coast?!

*update - i got my seafood - yum yummy yum yum!  We had a nice stroll downtown and stopped off at a couple of places for a beer.  I personally preferred the 2nd one and had a couple of really nice drinks in there (Alvarado St Brewery and Grill). Hotel had recommended a restaurant for us so we just simply headed there. And we were glad we did. I had a delicious bowl of Seafood Cioppino and Dan had a seafood and pasta dish.  I was SO happy with my meal :-)
Ended the night with one last beer at another place Dan had found and then headed back as we were both feeling really tired. Its been a very busy few days plus i have managed to come down with a cold so we decided an early-ish night wouldn't do us any harm...



1 comment: